Thursday, October 24, 2013

TnT Confidential: Lily Sawyer

Welcome, welcome, to another edition of TnT Confidential! Today I have fellow briefer and lovely author Lily Sawyer coming in for a visit and answering my questions. Read on to find out more about her and her writing.

Welcome Lily to In A Dream Beyond! Prepare yourself for an evil questionnaire.  Muahaha! I will try not to spook you too much. *grin*

As a first time visitor, I must ask: When did you start writing and why?
I started writing way back in high school.  After I graduated I took an adult enrichment writing class.  I didn’t write anything of any significance again until I found the internet in 1997.   I am a Star Trek fan and enjoyed reading fanzines,  but it wasn’t until I got online that I discovered other fans.  I was also interested in “Kung Fu: The Legend Continues”   show and got into the fandom and was encouraged by another writer to start writing fan fiction and that is where it all began for me.    Then I got into Brokeback Mountain and my interest in gay romance was born. 

What’s your usual writing process like?  I tend to get inspired by everyday events,  sometimes news events.   I will weave my own life experiences into my stories.

What’s your favorite part of being an author? Least?   My favorite part is having a story flow and getting feedback from the readers.  My least favorite: editing.  I know it’s a necessary process but one I do not like. 


You normally write m/m romance, why did you decide to focus on this niche? Are you open to trying new genres?    

My interest in m/m romance was sparked by Brokeback Mountain.   I just couldn’t leave how that movie ended alone and decided to fix it (as Ennis in the movie said “If you can’t fix it, you gotta stand it”  Well fortunately for us fans many of us couldn’t stand it so we fixed it with countless fan fiction that were well written.  I have my own story too)

Where does your inspiration come from?   Many of my story ideas come from my own life experiences or from the news. 

Out of all your published work until this moment, which one is your favorite. Why?     

I liked “Love on the East End”  I’d visited the east end of Long Island, I’m originally from Long Island (though from the western end of it in Nassau County)  and took the Long Island Rail Road tour of the wineries and decided to incorporate it into the story.     I also dealt with a very difficult topic,  teen suicide.   It was in the news at the time I was writing the story and decided to address the issue in my book.




October Spookiness

A book recommendation for October    “Amityville Horror”   I regret not visiting the house the events took place in when I lived on Long Island. 

Favorite scary film      Sixth Sense (I am not into horror movies)

*If you celebrate Halloween*

What are you planning to dress up as this year? or If you could dress up as something on Halloween, it’d be… ?     Last year I dressed up as a cat.  This year I might be a skeleton.    I love Halloween.

Favorite thing about autumn   The cooler weather and changing of the leaves.

Share a scary anecdote with us     I’m going to admit up front that I DO believe in the afterlife and ghosts.    I was staying with a friend in New Hampshire and I had been told I might hear strange noises.   She told me that there was a spirit named George in the house.    I didn’t think anymore about it.   Everyone had gone to bed and I was sleeping in the living room on the couch.   I started to hear noises above me.  At first I thought it might be snow falling off the roof,  it was winter time,  she had a tin roof and during the day you’d hear the snow sliding off the roof when the sun beat down on it.   Well the temps were too cold for that to happen.   It sounded like someone was sliding something across the floor in the attic.  I sat there, in the dark, staring up at the ceiling listening to this noise.   My heart was beating in my chest, after a while it stopped.   I told my friend about it and she said it was probably George.    Other stuff that happened while I was up there,  I had a piece of jewelry I had in a drawer in a desk in the living room.  I knew I had put it in the drawer the night before and when I woke up it was sitting on top of the desk.   No one had been up during the night.   I wondered how it got there.

George? 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments! Don't be shy and tell me your thoughts.