Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Wednesday Brief: Pretty Boy #wednesdaybrief #writingprompt

Happy Wednesday!

Welcome back to another Wednesday Brief. I needed to write something new, so allow me to introduce, Josh. *smile*
 
Enjoy and don't forget to visit the other briefers!


Pretty Boy
 
 It was a perfect day. The sun shone brightly amid the blue sky, while a gentle breeze blew from the north. The birds chirped happily from the trees, occasionally diving toward the ground to grab a crumb or another. Josh chewed on his ham and cheese sandwich. He thought about his day so far. He was close to finishing the massive project he'd been working on for the last month. His neighbor had called to tell him that they had delivered a package for him. He smiled. He could hardly wait to get home and become immersed in those books. All in all, life was good. Except for one thing; the man sitting a few tables away. Jay. 

There he was, sitting at the picnic table, smiling left and right as people adored him like peasants adore a king. It was ridiculous. Couldn't people see past the pearly whites, dimpled cheeks and dazzling baby blues? Couldn't they see the type of person he was? 

"Staring at Jay again." 

Josh scowled. It was a statement, not a question. He turned to look at his friend and workmate, Rita, as she slid into the bench at his side. 

"I wasn't staring." 

"Sure you weren't." She rolled her eyes and took a sip of her smoothie. "You were simply, what did you call it last time? Um, observing." 

"I'm an artist. I like observing people." 

"I'm not saying you don't. I'm just pointing out that you only ever observe Jay." 

"What are you talking about?" Josh crossed his arms over his chest."I've taken pictures of you before." 

She laughed. "I know, but can you tell me who else you've been looking at in the last twenty minutes?" 

"What?" 

"You heard me, pretty boy, who else have you seen? You said you liked to observe people, so tell me who else you've been ogling." 

Josh swallowed. Fuck. Leave it to Rita to catch him in a lie. 

"Well," he began. Rita's eyebrow's shot up. "There's Marissa from the human resources department. She's got a tall frame, with um--" 

"Tell me about her face." 

Josh bit into his sandwich hoping to buy some time. What were Marissa's features like? He couldn't remember. The only image that popped up in his mind was Jay's face. Fuck. 

"Well?" 

"What do you want me to do? He's like a fucking unicorn, all bright and sparkly and commanding attention. No one measures up to him." Josh covered his face with his hands. He peeked at Jay through his fingers before turning to speak to Rita again. "I don't understand why you don't want to look at him?" 

She shrugged. "He's not my type. He's too much of a pretty boy. I like my men a little less refined."

They both giggled, perfectly aware of Rita's long time crush on the head of the Repography department. The man always had a smudge of ink somewhere on his face and his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. 

"Now seriously, Josh, you have to get over him. It was only a one time thing. Yes, he's a jerk, but you have to move on." 

"I know." Josh sighed. He knew he had to, but he couldn't, not with his secret in tow. 

TO be continued...

 ********
Don't forget to visit the rest of the briefers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments! Don't be shy and tell me your thoughts.